Roasted Eggplant Pesto Pasta and Kale Salad
Need a perfect potluck food idea or want to prepare a nice satisfying dinner for a family or friends? This meal is a wonderful combination of deliciousness, nutritiousness & beauty.
Acid-Alkaline Content of this dish: Very nutritious and delicious recipe that is a perfect example of 80/20 meal. 20% of your plate will be pasta loaded with different yummy healthy and satisfying goodies. Plus pasta itself is gluten free and made of organic brown rice. 80% of your plate will be an amazing marinated soft kale salad.
Of course you can slightly shift those percentages to 70/30 or 60/40 if you feel you need it.
This high protein and fiber, alkalizing recipe contains four major steps process:
1) Preparing your own pest or buy one (better if dairy-free).
2) Prepare pasta.
3) Arrange a salad.
Total Time: 70-90 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
Sun-dried Tomatoes Pesto Ingredients (dairy-free pesto), makes about 16-18 Tbsp = 8-10 oz (you can make it ahead of time, freeze the rest to use later):
- 6 gloves garlic
- 3-4 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup of soaked (but not necessary) pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 6-8 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes (best if they packed in olive oil)
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
Roasted eggplant ingredients (you can roast it a day before):
- 1 middle size eggplant, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 3-4 gloves garlic
- 1/4-1/3 cut red onion
- 3-4 Tbs coconut oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Pasta ingredients (you can use any other healthy types of pasta):
- 4 oz healthy pasta
- 4-6 Tbsp already made pesto
- 8-10 oz broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- already roasted eggplant
- 2-3 oz olives packed in water
- 4 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- pine nuts to sprinkle on top
Kale Salad Ingredients (marinated kale overnight or couple hours before adding other ingredients and serve it):
- 2 bunches kale
- 5-7 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 - 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 peeled cucumber or three little cucumbers
- couple yellow/ red/ orange mini peppers cut in circles
- one apple
- couple Tbsp dried black currents
- home-made croutons
- 1/4 pomegranate seeds to sprinkle on top
- pine nuts to sprinkle on top
How to Process:
Here is the steps process to shorten time your time on the kitchen if you are doing everything at once.
1. Marinate your kale couple hours before serve it (or make sure to massage the kale very-very well if serving right away): wash, tear into bitesize pieces, let it completely dry (salad spinner is very helpful), add olive oil and salt. Important: massage very well with your hands, makes every eaves shiny. So that the kale become soft and more chewable.
2. Let kale marinated for couple hours or overnight. Roast your eggplant. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a non-bleach parchment paper, or use glass dish without baking sheet. Mix Sea Salt, minced garlic, crushed black pepper and olive oil together. Place cut eggplant and red onion into baking dish, add oil mixture, mix very well massaging eggplant, so that it becomes soft! Put to the oven at 350°F for 40-50 minutes. Mix one -two time during this process.
3. While eggplant is in the oven let's cook pasta in slightly salty water according to package instructions. Add 1 Tbsp of coconut/ olive oil to the water. Also steam your broccoli florets.
4. Pasta is cooking, eggplant in the oven, and we have time to do pesto: place all ingredients into the food processor and process well. Regulate your moisture with adding more olive oil. Do it more salty then you normally season your food so that the flavor will stay pretty strong on pasta. Take couple Tbsp. for past and the rest of the pesto can perfectly stay fresh in freezer.
4. Prepare veggies for kale salad: cut your cucumber and peppers, apple, deseed a pomegranate.
5. Arrange your pasta: add pesto to pasta and mix, add eggplant, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, olives. Mix well. Put on the plate and sprinkle pine nuts.
6. Arrange kale salad: squeeze lemon, add lemon zest, mix well. Add peppers, cucumbers, apple, black currents, pomegranate seeds, and croutons. Put on the plate and sprinkle pine nuts on top.